Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Hello All!

Well hello to all fellow bloggers, knitters, other fiber enthusiasts, whomever else happens to venture upon my blog!

Now let me introduce myself... "Hi, My name is Zach and I'm a knitaholic." This is my first adventure into actually having a knitting blog of my own. So I will start off by telling you a little bit about me. I'm a 21 year old college student from Springfield, Ohio. I've been knitting for roughly 5 years now. I was taught by my grandmother on one of our vacations across the country. (As children my siblings and I would go with our grandparents back and forth camping across country.) I'm going to school for biology but I'm not really sure yet what I want to do with it whether it's going into teaching or research. Also I've been dating a wonderful guy for almost a year now (it'll be a year this Sun.) and I'm pretty sure he's the love of my life. His name is Wes. I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot about him because... well just because.

Well (you'll notice that I use well a lot...) I seem to be having a big ol' brain fart on what else to say and really I am bad about talking about myself, but I'm sure as we go along you'll learn lots about me. (This may just be a ploy to keep you reading)

So let's get into my current knitting projects. There are three that I'm currently working on. My biggest project at the time is the Smokin' Jacket by Jared Flood out of Debbie Stoller's new book Son of Stitch'N Bitch. I'm using size 10 needles as the book suggest and RedHeart Super Saver in deep chocolate brown color. Not my first choice in yarn but it's what I could afford considering the pattern calls for a bulky yarn and I only had a 25 dollar gift certificate to Crafts 2000! I holding two strands together. So far I'm around 15'' into the body of the sweater and finished the cuff on one sleeve. This is my first sweater that I actually plan on finishing. The pattern is very simple being all stockinette and garter and the only sewing on the sweater is the collar and a little bit of grafting at the under arms.

Next I'm working on herringbone patterned scarf on size 4 needles with a teal Frog Tree 100% Alpaca sport weight yarn. I really love this yarn. The color is so rich and it's very warm and soft. This is going to be a birthday present for Wes if I can get it done in time. The stitch pattern is kind of tedious and on size 4 needles with 70 stitches per row it might take a while. You can get the stitch pattern here: http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches/wovenherringbone.htm

Here's a close-up of the stitch pattern: (sorry for the poor quality)
And finally the third project that I'm actively knitting on is going to be a felted needle case. I'm using Paton's Classic Merino and a size 8 needle. This my own design and I'm hoping it turns out well. If it does I might post the pattern or try to submit it to a magazine or knitty.com. I'm planning on adding zippers to the top two edges and having a flap with a button hole on the long side to close it. I'm thinking of lining the inside with some green fabric I have and use some elastic band to hold down the needles. We'll see how it goes.
OK, well I guess that's it for my first blog. Here's to many more and maybe getting to know all you out there on the net knit scene. Also if any of you are Ravlers so am I. Feel free to look me up I'm Superi on http://www.ravelry.com

4 comments:

Joe said...

Welcome to the world of knit-blogging. It's always great to see more folks describing their obsession with knitting in an on-line forum.

I've also enjoyed your contributions at MWK.

The smoking jacket is looking quite fine...I'll be interested to see how it looks when it's completed.

Randy said...

Nice start on your blog. Looking forward to seeing more of your knitting. Hope you keep posting to MWK also.

gardenguy42 said...

Congratulations on starting your new blog! I am glad to see people branching off from MenWhoKnit.com. Looking forward to reading your posts.

DangFenn said...

I am going to start a knitting blog very shortly! Great job here! I like the idea of a felted knitting bag.