Saturday, June 7, 2008

Ok, ok......

Yes, I know. I've been gone for a fairly long time; around 3 months or so. Though that is life, I guess. Don't worry, that three month span has not been knit less. I've had several various projects going on.
Here are is one FO I finished about a month ago or so. These are a pair of 1oo% alpaca socks on size 1 needles with Frog Tree Hill sport weight alpaca (which I think is more of a lace/sock weight). They are very comfy and luxurious all though I will have to wait till fall to wear them again. They worked up fairly quick too. I must be a fairly loose knitter because on size ones I only really needed 52 stitches total.



Here is a wip progress of my own design which I will most likely write up a pattern and post it soon once I get all the kinks worked out. These are a pair of fingerless mitts with an after thought thumb that are inspired by the jay walker socks. They yarn I am using is a lace weight superfine cashmere spun up by my LYS (YarnSmiths) in the color way called "hunter's glen". I think they are very pretty and fitting for both a guy or girl. On my first one I used a size 4 needle with 56 stitches not exactly sure what my gauge was. It was fairly loose but still fit though I wasn't happy with the result. I also should have made them about an inch longer on top. I like my fingerless mitts to come up right below the middle knuckles. So on the second mitt I am using a US size 3 needle and will knit it a little longer. I will eventually frog the first one and re knit it with the size 3. I really love these mitts and am excited about sharing the patter with everyone. The cashmere is so nice too, and I love the colorway! It's gorgeous.

I also have several other wip's going as well. I am finally making myself a knitting bag out of cascade 220 which will eventually be felted. I am using a light brown/beige color and a darker chocolate brown on size US 10 needles. This project is being stranded with a diamond motif. There will eventually be pictures... I did have some but I frogged the first draft and started over. Originally I was knitting the bag on a 6 or 7 needle and that was just taking forever so I switch to 10's and I also switched motifs as well. The original bag was going to be hounds tooth, but I didn't like how it was turning out and really didn't know if the pattern would be clear after felting. So I switched to diamonds which are easy and I think will be clearer after being felted.

I am also working on two different blankets right now. One I'm going to keep secret for now because I eventually will share the pattern with you which is of my own design. The second one has a little bit of story about it. About a month ago I got huge present from a good friend. She went to a yard sale and says she has a surprise for me. So I met her after work one day, and she gives me literally a trunk load of various colored acrylic yarn. I vary graciously took it. Though now I have the problem of figuring out what I'm going to do with that much acrylic yarn. I did a ravelry search and found this basic crochet pattern for a vintage vertically striped blanket. I hoping this will cut down some of the bulk although I know it won't make too huge of dent. So are there any other suggestions out there for projects and such to where I can destash?

All right well I think I am going to end this post here. I will post soon updating on how my life is going at the moment and what's been happening with me in the last 3 months. Also I have been tagged by tycho for a meme so I will probably fill that out as well.

Vale!

Zach

3 comments:

=Tamar said...

Is that your first pair of socks? Because 100% alpaca is incredibly stretchy. In wool the same needles and weight of yarn would take more stitches for the same size. Alpaca stretches out when worn but usually goes back to normal when washed; at least, the socks I have do.

SuperiK(uh)nits said...

no this is several pairs down the line. The alpaca is actually fine though probably because the yarn was suppose to be a sport weight according to the manufacturer though it felt more like a sock/lace weight to me. I did these on size US 1 I've worn them a couple times though and they haven't stretched yet. They actually started to felt while wearing them. lol

Mike said...

Love those gloves! Very nice!